Delightful Reveal #5
A weekly update on all things Flagrant
What’s our secret sauce? Never assume every shark has the same fabric preferences; we need user research!
What we did:
- Performed practice interviews with the Hotel 2022 cohort from LEARN Academy.
- Kicked off another sprint with a client and built up our backlog of prioritized work.
- Caught up with Jeff Walters from PortalMedia.
- Met with Todd Kaufman from Test Double.
- Introduced the Podcast experiment to the team.
- Met with a FileMaker Pro expert to help with a client data migration.
- Used some crazy flex row-reverse with Tailwind peer class/helper to wire a tricky pricing grid add column button on GTO.
- Implemented a copy to clipboard for pricing grid on GTO by hiding a simpler table version of the data.
- Shared insights from our last round of research during our team’s demo. Collected outstanding product design questions and hypotheses as inputs to next week’s sessions with users. Created several clickable Balsamiq mockups and a discussion guide.
- Continued brainstorming/socializing a values workshop for the management team.
- Audited some modal patterns on a project to improve design system documentation, shore up Figma components to be more flexible, and make copy consistent.
- Used Bullet Train Super Scaffolding to generate the bones of a new application.
- Added a cached last-used-at time to addresses for a client, and filled in the data for 5.5 million existing records.
- Started the course, Creating with a Consulting Mindset introduced to us by Dewayne Greenwood at Orbital Academy.
- Created these fake product reviews. Read about why we do fake product reviews and other company wide activities: Want Seriously Good Work? Hire The Team Who Laughs.
What we’re reading:
- Wahala by Nikki May (StoryGraph)
- Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (StoryGraph) — getting to the end of the Discworld read-through!
- Bullet Train docs
- Silicon Valley needs to stop laying off workers and start firing CEOs
- Journalistic Lessons for the Algorithmic Age
What we’re listening to:
- Articles of Interest
- Bullseye interview with Chloe Sevigny
- Paramore: This is Why (Website, Spotify, Apple Music)
- M83: Fantasy (Website, Spotify, Apple Music)
- Remote Ruby: How Derek Sivers Uses Ruby And His Programming Philosophy
- The Persuaders (Audible)
- Hippo Campus (Spotify, Apple Music)
- Dungeons and Daddies Season 2 (Spotify)
- Beyonce: Homecoming: The Live Album (Spotify, Apple Music)
- N*Sync “Bye, Bye, Bye” (Spotify, Apple Music)
- Jon Batiste: Freedom (Website, Spotify, Apple Music)
- Yellow Days - Soul Smile (Official Audio)
What we’re interested in:
- Mardi Gras
- Making shirts for a casual bowling group, named Spare Parts. Bowling shirt designs, vintage 60’s-70s vibe
- Making a Large Wheel Skeleton Clock
- Ceramicists who build life-size cars
- Pit Bull meetup at the Boneyard, the dog park/bar this weekend in Madison
- Security Envelope Patterns
What we’re struggling with:
- Learning all about SMS and Email flows and steps that a user would need to take in order to deliver good messaging
- Losing all our Firefox bookmarks, repeatedly, with some kernel panic for extra spicy flavor
- Seasonal depression
- Joint subluxation
- Shoulder/neck issues
- Lining up prints on both sides of the page
What we’re buying:
- King Cake
- Smart Crutches
- More spices from Burlap and Barrel
What we’re celebrating:
- Black History Month
- Getting a new fridge
- Seeing the United Ukrainian Ballet perform Giselle
- Watching roommate’s baby’s first crawl
If you’re looking for a team to help you discover the right thing to build and help you build it, get in touch.