Delightful Reveal #20
A weekly update on all things Flagrant
“Cult of personality iguanas.”
What we did:
- Returned from Japan, posted lots of pictures in Slack, made tea.
- Caught up on design research + project documentation from my absence.
- Got word from a client that they want our help changing typography and color palettes across all their brands.
- Created an Excel spreadsheet for double-checking our application’s math and more easily populating designs in Figma.
- Sent out a Branding proposal to help refine an existing brand and make it a more approachable and stand-out from the competition.
- Prepared a proposal for a company who assembled a ragtag group of tools to address their customers during the pandemic. That approach saved their business, but now they’re ready to refine it to make a seamless experience for their new online customers.
- Demoed wireframes to our client and dug deep into the design process.
- Presented and agreed on a research + usability testing plan. Excited for our alignment workshop this week!
- Met with Josh Maurer to provide feedback on a tech talk he gave at our bi-weekly Developer Roundtable on Hotwire. Even as a recent bootcamp graduate he was able to facilitate a conversation that taught some old dogs new tricks.
- Bought tickets to Blue Ridge Ruby.
- Was recruited into going to Blue Ridge Ruby.
- Traveled from Washington DC to be a part of a presentation to get feedback for the email builder that we have been working on. Then proceeded to run around like an awkward tourist.
- Met with JP Balarini of EagerWorks to discuss opportunities to team up.
- Began a new client project that helps organize information in a hierarchy.
- Green lit the Developer Roundtable Broadcast experiment.
- Began exploring some self-hosted service options.
What we’re reading:
- “Follow the Golden Ratio from Africa to the Bauhaus for a Cross-Cultural Aesthetic for Images” by Audrey Bennett (from The Black Experience in Design: Identity, Expression & Reflection)
- “The only three types of meetings you ever need to run” by Austin Govella
- Design Patterns in Ruby by Russ Olsen
- Dessert Person: Recipes and Guidance for Baking with Confidence: A Baking Book by Claire Saffitz
What we’re watching:
- The Boxer (1997)
- The Light We Carry: Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey (Netflix)
- The Great (Season 3)
- Jewish Matchmaking (Netflix, trailer)
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: The Final Season
What we’re listening to:
- Hotline Bling Billie Speed
- M. Ward - “supernatural thing”
- I’m The President - KNOWER
- Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
- Sleep Soul: Relaxing R&B Baby Sleep Music - not just for babies 😴
- Inventor, Photographer …Murderer, an episode of Sidedoor about Eadweard Muybridge—the character, the artist, the murderer (🥴) who famously photographed a horse’s gait
What we’re interested in:
- The debt ceiling
- Oddities and Curiosities Expo
- What’s between Madison, WI and Asheville, NC to see on our road trip.
- This sweet, sweet potato vending machine in Japan