Delightful Reveal #16
A weekly update on all things Flagrant
Our Flagrant vision is to see our clients and communities be successful as defined by them and to do what we can to make it happen.
What we did:
- Held a findings presentation to summarize our seven-week research and discovery effort.
- Two discoveries diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. Less opaquely, drafted plans for two possible discoveries at the end of this epicycle and met with our client to agree which one better aligns with their business goals.
- Planned and facilitated two user research sessions.
- Discussed possible product designs to agree minimum-viable acceptance criteria.
- Assembled our delivery phase team and held internal kickoff to discuss team roles, responsibilities, norms, recurring meetings.
- Held a feature prioritization workshop with the client to ensure alignment.
- Traveled to Atlanta for RailsConf.
- Gave a 5 minute lightning presentation at RailsConf on the stakes of inequality in America and the need for institutional anti-prejudice activism over the passivity of inclusion-focused internal policy.
- Completed OSHA 10 hr General Industry training.
- Designing a landing page for maximum conversion.
- Encouraged the team to draw things that represent Flagrant or make phrases for others to draw. Drawing is fun-damental.
- Figured out how to capture errors while wrapping a controller action in a transaction.
- Enabled clients pdf reports to print with images.
What we’re reading:
- Nona the ninth
- Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men (StoryGraph)
- The Creative Fire by Clarissa Pinkola Estés (StoryGraph)
- Minting new design ideas from usability test data (UserFocus)
What we’re watching:
- The Diplomat on Netflix
- Finishing up Perry Mason
- Ted Lasso (of course!)
- The Dark Side of the Ring (Hulu)
- The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die
- Crash Course in Romance (Netflix)
What we’re listening to:
- Sidedoor: The Sex Lives of Giant Pandas about how bad pandas are at mating
- Sidedoor: Aloha, Y’all about the influence of Hawaiian music (and steel guitar) on American music
- Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
- Tomoyasu Hotei -Battle Without Honor Or Humanity
What we’re interested in:
- Making grain bowls for lunch
- LitRPG books
What we’re struggling with:
- Slow start to the Wisconsin spring
- Finn (the dog) eating random food and puking
- The amount of Jazz Dads in my neighborhood this weekend
What we’re buying:
- Dice tray
- Salted licorice
- Dog Walks care package
- A WaterPik toothbrush + flosser thingie
- Embroidery starter kits with succulent patterns
- Sassy Cat Pottery and stickers - rec from Glynnis
- Adhesive power strip holders
What we’re celebrating:
- The color purple
- Jack for giving a very-well received lightning talk on inequity, entropy, and creeping fascism
- Team cohesion
- New beginnings as a team moves from discovery to delivery
- This quote from a client “You’ve done a good job understanding the problem, and it feels good to see it summarized accurately.”
- Taking the Basic Riders Course this weekend (Sat/Sun 7:30am - 5pm) and finally getting my motorcycle license
- It’s Pizza Poetry Day in New Orleans! Gonna get a hot pizza with some fresh poetry by New Orleans youth
- Doing some sketching as a team
- Going to Japan for a much-belated honeymoon
If you’re looking for a team to help you discover the right thing to build and help you build it, get in touch.