Delightful Reveal #3
A weekly update on all things Flagrant
What we did
- Welcomed Jack to the team!
- Learned about the Five Finger Breathing Meditation
- Defined an initial “experiment” for about a month’s worth of work on a client project, outlining research, product design, and development work.
- Introduced responsive design to an existing project
- Gathered for Flagrant Recharge and enjoyed a snowflake filled brain teaser virtual escape room: Escape The Ice Castle, hosted by Julie & Christine with Escapely.
- Figured out how to browse from a mobile device to a Rails multi-tenant app using subdomains while in development
- Made flyouts sticky using CSS
- Learned that LIMIT ALL is a thing in SQL.
- Connected with Ariana Vargas, creator of The Stigma App, an amazing app that encourages people to share and give messages of hope regarding depression, anxiety, and mental health. You can see a bit more about the incredible work she is doing here: https://vimeo.com/565740989
- Held a team agreements meeting (reference one, two) to review/renew our commitments to one another this quarter.
- Created some schematics/wireframes for our forthcoming design effort, and distinguished between concepts our users are more likely to understand and those that’ll need to verify with further user research
- Wireframed a clickable walkthrough to share with a client using Balsamiq
What we’re reading
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) (The StoryGraph)
- Eyes of the Void by Adrian Tchaikovsky (The StoryGraph)
- The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (The StoryGraph)
- Discworld: Pyramids by Terry Pratchett (Author, The StoryGraph)
- Just Babies by Paul Bloom (The StoryGraph)
- Ways of Being (The StoryGraph, NYT Review)
- Fight Like Hell: The Untold History of American Labor by Kim Kelly (The StoryGraph)
What we’re listening to
- Flagrant Unearths the 90’s - Spotify Playlist + Apple Music Playlist
- (New heavy metal band find) Make Them Suffer
- FEZ Original Game Soundtrack - Full
- The Chauffeur (Duran Duran cover)
- “Red Right Hand”, mostly by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds but sometimes by other bands (because watching Peaky Blinders but also from Songs in the Key of X: Music from and Inspired by the X-Files)
- Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science (Official Video - HD Remaster)
- Remote Ruby
- Bill Maher New Season
- Revisiting Love and Lapses: A Conversation with Code Switch host B.A. Parker about caring for, interacting with, and being loved by folks experiencing dementia
What we’re interested in
- Murder Mystery Puzzle
- Forest penguins
- Gloomhaven board game
- “Poker Face” TV series starring Natasha Lyonne after watching a whole lot of “Columbo”
- The Columbo statue in Budapest
- Training our cats to sit in an adjacent office chair
- Numberwang, a sonic experience not unlike virtual escape rooms
- This guided mindfulness meditation exercise.
- 11 Minute Easy Chair Workout
- Learning Bonsai. Learning to Bonsai? I don’t know.
- This video about a Bonsai trainer
- Comparing calculators and reminiscing about Sidekick phones
What we’re buying
- Gifts for the team from
- Weighted heating pad for neck and shoulders, a new kind of superhero cape
- Mastering Hand Building: Techniques, Tips, and Tricks for Slabs, Coils, and More
What we’re celebrating
- Kolsch beer, that was brewed a couple weeks ago, is ready for bottling
- Cursor Parks
- Shoutout to EVERYONE for reaching out for support and taking care of themselves
If you’re looking for a team to help you discover the right thing to build and help you build it, get in touch.