Delightful Reveal #27
A weekly update on all things Flagrant
“Beware of humanity melons.”
What we did:
- Wrapped up some Flagrant website designs, handed them off to start getting developed.
- Finalized the research plan for a summative usability test, and related artifacts like session materials, a moderator’s guide, notetaker’s guide, rolling issues board, appointment slots, recruitment materials, post-test questionnaire. Scheduled a pilot test.
- Started thinking about how to best frame our next epicycle of work.
- Prevent the user from completing inspections on ‘archived’ inspection forms within MyMomentum.
- Improvements to the MyMomentum Training ‘show’ page that greatly reduce the pages load time.
- Designed a logomark for an existing client brand.
- Reduced page load time for a critical page in our app by over a third.
- Designed a product logo for a client that’s part of a larger logo system we helped create and define.
- Posted our first Instagram reel.
- Set up a HelpScout Beacon with custom behavior.
- Improved search performance and behavior with a little Postgres magic.
- Finalizing feature marketing look and feel for a clients homepage.
- Began working on Training Tracker website refresh.
- Discussed how Flagrant can make improvements to society and the intersection of grants and our skills.
What we’re reading:
- Rag & Pulp: Creativity with Paper
- 50 Years of Text Games
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull with Amy Wallace (StoryGraph)
- Why the Confirm Password Field Must Die
- SAT Total Prep 2023
- “The Coming Humanist Renaissance” By Adrienne LaFrance (The Atlantic)
- Qualitative Literacy: A Guide to Evaluating Ethnographic and Interview Research by Mario Luis Small and Jessica McCrory Calarco
- Understanding SVG Paths
What we’re watching:
- The Peripheral
- Jujutsu Kaisen (just started S2!)
- Secret Chef
- Strange New Worlds S2 +1
- Platonic +1
- Crash Course in Romance
- Women Talking
- Americonned (2023)
- The Bear S2
- Black Mirror
What we’re listening to:
- Exist - Exo
- Seven - Jungkook of BTS
- Madison Cunningham
- Conquer Divide
- Reimagining The Internet #82. Twitter Blocked Tracy Chou’s Anti-Harassment App. Now She Wants to Fix Your Browser.
- Who Is She? - Thursday (Official Music Video)
- Killer Mike - Scientists & Engineers ft. Future, Andre 3000, Eryn Allen Kane
What we’re interested in:
- Reminding family members who have become keepers of microfilm music libraries that need to be digitized that librarians serve the public (and know a lot about microfilm!)
- The new racing cups released for MarioKart 8
What we’re struggling with:
- Figuring out directions to the hostel I’m going to stay at
- A coprophagic dog
- The urge to get another motorcycle
- real deletions vs. soft deletions, especially in a new-to-me database interface
- Figma notifications in the UI when you are not working within a space and missing when people need feedback
- How dang expensive travel is
What we’re buying:
- MS Flight Simulator (soon with Dune ornithopter support!)
- Glass boba straws
- On Web Typography by Jason Santa Maria
- The Anatomy of Type by Stephen Coles
- a Steam Deck with accessories, like a folding bluetooth keyboard
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
What we’re celebrating:
- Seeing some friends this weekend.
- Traveling next week!!
- Planning a San Diego trip with a long-distance best friend!
- Some tree work getting done and being able to park my car near the garage again! And plug it in to charge!
- Started sharing that my partner and I are pregnant! Baby’s due in January.
- Women’s World Cup soccer starts in 6 days (July 20th). It is the last time to see Rapinoe play in a world cup, she is retiring.
- SAG-AFTRA joining the WGA strike.
If you’re looking for a team to help you discover the right thing to build and help you build it, get in touch.